Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Nature of Jesus

The past few Sundays Brent has been teaching about the nature of Jesus. Jesus is many things, loving, kind, forgiving etc...this Sunday was about Jesus the servant. When we think about Jesus we think about his people serving him but Jesus serves us also...not by doing what we say but by hearing our cries, washing our feet, and most of all...dying for each one of us. Jesus didn't deserve to die but he died to serve as a sacrifice for our sins. Some of the scriptures Brent shared was Phillipians 2:5-8, " In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a SERVANT, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death---even death on a cross."
Jesus is Lord and yet he humbled himself and became a servant...to offer himself as a sacrifice for you, me and all human beings.
Luke 24:27 says, "For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? But I am among you as one who serves."
John 13:8 says, " No, said Peter, You shall never wash my feet." Jesus answered, "unless I wash you, you have no part with me."
John 13:13-17 says,"You call me teacher and Lord, and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and teacher have washed your feet, you also should wash anothers feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."
Our ultimate goal should be to take on the nature of Jesus. To allow the Holy Spirit to teach us to serve one another. It can be through many forms not just in acts but even in private by praying for people etc...I want Jesus to look at me and say, "well done my good and faithful servant."
Work on my heart father that I will be a servant...that my nature will be like yours. That I will humble myself and serve. 
Great Service....

No comments:

Post a Comment