Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Unconditional Love

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have faith that can move a mountains, but do not have love, I AM NOTHING. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
This scripture really stuck out to me. When people think of love they usually think of the feeling not the giving. When we start dating someone, get married or become friends our first thought is usually, "How does this person make me feel?" In the beginning it's usually pretty great. We go out of our way to make the other person think we are their ideal person. We love what they love and go out of our way to make them feel special. As time goes on and they start not being the exact person we want them to be, we "fall out of love" with them. Love however, is a choice not a feeling. We have to choose to love them even when we feel they don't deserve it. We have to choose to make people feel special even when we don't get that in return. We have to choose to stand by them when they mess up or betray our trust. I'm not saying its easy but it is a choice. Because if we don't love...then what we say, do, or give up is for nothing. So think of how you can make the people you say you love...feel loved. Ask yourself if I am loving these people with real love. Am I willing to love unconditionally...and most of all...ask God to help you love them like he loves them because true love is seeing people through his eyes and loving them with his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment